Château de Sully-sur-Loire
The château is the seat of the duc de Sully, Henri IV's minister Maximilien de Béthune (1560-1641), and the ducs de Sully. It is a château-fort, a true castle, built to control one of the few sites where the Loire can be forded; the site has perhaps been fortified since Gallo-Roman times, certainly since the beginning of the eleventh century. In 1218, Philip Augustus constructed a cylindrical keep to the south of the present enclosure, of which buried foundations remain. Guy de la Trémoille, inheriting the fortress, undertook the construction of the "Donjon", flanked by four towers, beginning in 1395. To one side was added the Petit Château in the sixteenth century to provide more agreeable accommodation; Sully remodelled it. Sully bought the domaine in 1602, enlarged the park and the fortress; he strengthened the embankments of the Loire to protect the town from occasional flooding.
The twenty closest neighbours in the database:
Guédelon (62 km), Château de Chambord (66 km), Château de Blois (81 km), Château de Chenonceau (110 km), Château du Clos Lucé (111 km), Paris (France) (122 km), Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport (139 km), Abbey of Fontenay (151 km), Beaune (France) (203 km), Reims (France) (205 km), Dijon (France) (207 km), Amiens (France) (237 km), Royal Saltworks at Arc-et-Senans (269 km), Château de Vitré (270 km), Verdun (France) (271 km), Le Mont-Saint-Michel (France) (303 km), La Rochelle (France) (322 km), Geneva Motor Show (331 km), Sarlat-la-Canéda (France) (332 km), Rocamadour (France) (335 km)