Ludlow Castle is a ruined medieval fortification in the town of the same name in the English county of Shropshire, standing on a promontory overlooking the River Teme. The castle was probably founded by Walter de Lacy after the Norman conquest and was one of the first stone castles to be built in England. During the civil war of the 12th century the castle changed hands several times between the de Lacy's and rival claimants, and was further fortified with a Great Tower and a large outer bailey. In the mid-13th century, Ludlow was passed on to Geoffrey de Geneville who rebuilt part of the inner bailey, and the castle played a part in the Second Barons' War. Roger Mortimer acquired the castle in 1301, further extending the internal complex of buildings, and the Mortimer family went on to hold Ludlow for over a century.
The twenty closest neighbours in the database:
Stratford-upon-Avon (United Kingdom) (72 km), Llangollen (United Kingdom) (73 km), Warwick Castle (78 km), Blenheim Palace (110 km), Bath (United Kingdom) (113 km), Liverpool (United Kingdom) (117 km), Oxford (United Kingdom) (121 km), Chatsworth House (121 km), Manchester (United Kingdom) (128 km), Waddesdon Manor (135 km), Stourhead House and Garden (143 km), Stonehenge (146 km), Hughenden Manor (156 km), Blackpool (United Kingdom) (163 km), Winchester (United Kingdom) (175 km), Lincoln (United Kingdom) (176 km), St Albans (United Kingdom) (177 km), Hatfield House (185 km), Cambridge (United Kingdom) (194 km), Hampton Court Palace (196 km)