Fort George (Highland)
Fort George is a large 18th-century fortress near Ardersier, to the north-east of Inverness in the Highland council area of Scotland. It was built to pacify the Scottish Highlands in the aftermath of the Jacobite rising of 1745, replacing a Fort George in Inverness constructed after the 1715 Jacobite rising to control the area. The current fortress has never been attacked and has remained in continuous use as a garrison.
The twenty closest neighbours in the database:
Balmoral Castle (79 km), Doune Castle (155 km), Inveraray Castle (162 km), Stirling Castle (162 km), Falkirk Wheel (177 km), Edinburgh (Scotland) (189 km), Glasgow (Scotland) (192 km), New Lanark (214 km), Culzean Castle (252 km), Alnwick Castle (281 km), Blackpool (United Kingdom) (423 km), York (United Kingdom) (444 km), Boyne Valley: Newgrange, Knowth and Battle of the Boyne (458 km), Liverpool (United Kingdom) (469 km), Manchester (United Kingdom) (471 km), Dublin (Ireland) (491 km), Chatsworth House (509 km), Llangollen (United Kingdom) (516 km), Lincoln (United Kingdom) (533 km), Clonmacnoise Monastery (534 km)