Palácio Nacional de Mafra
The Mafra National Palace is a monumental Baroque and Italianized Neoclassical palace-monastery located in Mafra, Portugal, some 28 kilometres from Lisbon. The palace, which also served as a Franciscan monastery, was built during the reign of King John V (1707-1750), in consequence of a vow made by the king in 1711, who promised to build a convent if his wife, the Queen Mary Anne of Austria, gave him descendants. The birth of his first daughter, the princess Barbara of Braganza, made the king initiate the construction of the palace. It was conveniently located for hunting in the nearby forests, and was usually a secondary residence for the royal family. This vast complex is among the most sumptuous Baroque buildings in Portugal and one of the biggest buildings constructed in Europe in the 18th century. Designed by the German architect João Frederico Ludovice, the palace was built symmetrically from a central axis, occupied by the basilica, and continues lengthwise through the main façade until two major towers. The structures of the convent are located behind the main façade. The building also includes a major library, with about 40,000 rare books.The basilica is decorated with several Italian statues and includes six historical pipe organs and two carillons, composed of 92 bells. At 40 000 m² it is one of the largest palaces in the world.
The twenty closest neighbours in the database:
Palácio Nacional de Sintra (16 km), Sintra Parks (17 km), Palácio Nacional da Pena (17 km), Palácio de Queluz (22 km), Palácio Nacional da Ajuda (28 km), Mosteiro dos Jerónimos (29 km), Lisbon (Portugal) (30 km), Mosteiro de Alcobaça (74 km), Mosteiro da Batalha (91 km), Porto (Portugal) (255 km), Guimarães (Portugal) (293 km), Braga (Portugal) (301 km), Seville (Spain) (338 km), Cádiz (Spain) (378 km), Córdoba (Spain) (413 km), Finisterre (Spain) (439 km), Ronda (Spain) (440 km), Santiago de Compostela (Spain) (444 km), Toledo (Spain) (466 km), Gibraltar (468 km)